Call Us for a Consultation(847) 564-0712
Call Now: (847) 564-0712


Our interconnected world means frequent travel and exchange among companies, peoples and nations. Foreign nationals on temporary visits for study, business or training face a host of challenges, as do their sponsors and employers. We expedite this process and make your life easier.

We can assist those seeking to come to the U.S. on temporary visits for tourism, study, business or training. These visas include: B-1/B-2 Business Visitor Visas, J Exchange Visitor Visa, F-1 & M-1 Student Visas, and H-3 Trainee Visa. Foreign nationals seeking these visas face a host of challenges, as do their sponsors and employers. We have helped clients in many diverse situations achieve their goals in the U.S. Below are brief introductions to the visas and links to detailed information.

Business B-1 and Tourist B-2 Visa and Trainee Visitors

Are you a temporary business visitor and would like to bring your family along? Let us ease your entry into the U.S.

B-1 Business Visitor Visa

The B-1 Visa is for temporary business visitors. This visa allows for a variety of business and economic activities in the U.S. Individuals eligible for this visa range from board members and athletes to musicians, entertainers and servants of non-immigrant. Although the B-1 visa is available to business visitors, it is important to note that this visa does not allow employment in the U.S. Business visitors may attend meetings, conventions, conferences, or negotiations on behalf of a foreign employer. However, performing productive work in the U.S. is not allowed, and receiving payment from a U.S. entity is also generally not allowed.

B-1 Visa Eligibility and Requirements

You may also be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Evidence backing up the purpose of your trip. You may show a letter sent by the foreign company explaining the purpose and length of the trip.
  • Information about your US employer and the entity you plan to visit in the U.S., like a company brochure or catalog.
  • Proof that the firm intends to pay for all costs.
  • Demonstration of non-immigrant intent. A good example of this is round-trip air tickets.

B-2 Tourist Visa

The B-2 Visa is issued to tourists, and may also be granted to spouses, children and parents of B1 Visa holders. Activities allowed on a B-2 are any legitimate activities of a recreational character, including tourism, amusement, visits to friends and/or relatives, rest, medical treatment and activities of a social or service nature.

The B-2 Visa can also be used by foreign students wishing to visit or tour U.S. schools prior to enrollment. You should make sure to inform the embassy or consulate of your intentions when you receive the B-2 Visa. You may then be able to change your status at a later time without leaving the U.S.

B-2 Visa Eligibility and Requirements

You may be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Evidence showing the purpose of your trip. You may show a letter sent by a travel agent explaining the purpose and length of the trip. You may also show letters from relatives or friends that you intend to visit.
  • If you are traveling to the U.S. for medical purposes, you should have a statement from a doctor or medical institution about your treatment.
  • A copy of a tour itinerary.
  • Proof of your intention to leave the U.S. after a temporary visit. Round-trip air tickets will help show intent to return to your home country.
  • Proof that arrangements have been made to cover the cost of your trip. An affidavit of support may be required for children who are traveling.
  • If you do not have enough funds to support yourself while in the U.S., you must provide evidence that an interested person will provide support.
  • You may also provide evidence that establishes your ties with the financial sponsor.
Visitor/Student/Trainee Visas
View all our Practice Areas

J-1 Visa for Trainees, Vocational Workers & Exchange Visitors (including J-1 waivers)

If you are in education, arts and sciences, this visa enables people to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States to promote the sharing of knowledge and skills.

The J-1 visa is designed to provide educational and cultural exchange programs, and to promote the sharing of individuals, knowledge and skills in education, arts and sciences. This visa enables people to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States. A completed form, DS-2019, prepared by a designated sponsoring organization is required.

Participants in this visa include students, trainees involved in on-the-job training, teachers engaged in research and teaching and international visitors interested in traveling, researching, consulting and demonstrating specific knowledge. Your spouse and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 may apply for entry under J-2 status.

You must also demonstrate the that you have binding ties to a residence in a foreign country which you have no intention of abandoning, and that you are coming to the United States for a temporary period of time.

F-1 Academic and M-1 Vocational Student Visas

The United States has long believed in the importance of education and allowing foreign nationals to study in the U.S. The nonimmigrant student visa category was created to fulfill this purpose. The F-1 visa is an academic student visa, as well as a visa for students in language training programs. The M-1 visa is a vocational student visa, as well as a visa for other nonacademic schools.

Student F-1 Visa

We specialize in assisting students file applications changing from student non-immigrant status to authorized work visa status. Approval of these applications allows students to be employed and reside in the U.S. Our firm also assists students in issues relating to obtaining Student Practical Training.

Attorney Ronald Shapiro and his staff at the Shapiro Law Group, exclusively practices immigration law, serving businesses, individuals and families for more than 30 years. An immigration lawyer at our office can answer your questions and attend to the important details necessary to expedite applications for your visitor, student or trainee visa. Contact the immigration lawyers who will guide you through the process. You can reach us here online, or at (847) 564-0712.