When a foreign national comes into the U.S. under a temporary work visa, the individual often wants to bring his or her family into the U.S. as well. Depending on the work visa obtained, the duration of the stay, and the relationship to the foreign national, family members may be able to enter the U.S. under the following family visa options:
- Dependents of a foreign national with an E-1 or E-2 Treaty Trader/Investor Visa may enter the U.S. for the duration of the respective visa. The E-1 and E-2 visas are available for traders and investors who are citizens of countries with which the U.S. has a treaty of trade and commerce.
The F-2 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with an F-1 student visa.
- The H-4 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with an H-1, H-2, or H-3 visa. The H-1 visa allows foreign nationals employed in a specialized field to work in the U.S. for up to three years.
- The J-2 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with a J-1 visa. The J-1 visa is available for foreign nationals approved to participate in a work- and study-based exchange visitor program.
- The O-3 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with an O visa. The O visa allows a foreign national with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or television/motion picture industry to enter the U.S. for a temporary period of time.
- The P-4 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with a P visa, which applies to foreign national athletes who enter the U.S. for purposes of competition.
- The R-2 visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with an R-1 visa. The R-1 visa is available for foreign nationals who come to the U.S. temporarily to be employed as a minister (or other religious vocation) by a U.S. non-profit religious organization.
- The TD visa is available for the spouse and children of a foreign national with a TN visa. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), TN work visa status is available for Canadian and Mexican citizens who will enter the U.S. to be engaged in activities at a professional level. There are no caps on the number of TN visas that can be issued each year.
- A limited number of E-3 visas are available for citizens of Australia and their spouses.
Contact an Family Immigration Attorney
The U.S. immigration lawyers at the Shapiro Law Group focus on helping foreign nationals obtain necessary visas and immigration documents to enter the U.S. Not only do we help foreign nationals and businesses obtain the necessary work visas for employment in the U.S., but we also help clients obtain the appropriate visas for the employee’s spouse and children, as well.
If you would like more information about work visas and family visas, contact us at (847)564-0712 to speak with our experienced U.S. immigration attorney.