When a foreign national wish to come into the United States – whether for school, to work, or with family – certain immigration documents must be obtained. Depending on your reason for coming to the U.S., the duration of your stay, and what you plan to do while you are in the U.S., various immigrations are available, each with its own requirements and limitations. The immigration process is daunting, confusing, and time-consuming for many people. An immigration lawyer can be helping in guiding you through the immigration process, advise you of the various immigration options, and helping to ensure that a complete application is filed in a timely manner.
The following are some of the specific ways that an immigration lawyer is important to the immigration process:
- Helping you understand the various immigration options. Whether you are coming to the U.S. to work or with family, there may be more than one visa option available to you. Because each visa has its own requirements, limitations, and duration, an immigration lawyer can help you understand which visa option makes the most sense given your specific circumstances.
- Ensuring that a complete application is filed in a timely manner. Regardless of the visa option that you pursue, the application process requires a significant amount of detailed information. In some situations, such as those involving family-based immigration, an interview with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may also be required. An immigration lawyer can help ensure that you submit a complete application, with necessary supporting documentation, in a timely manner so that the application isn’t denied due to incompleteness.
- Representing you in connection with an appeal. If your initial application was denied, an immigration lawyer will be able to tell you why the application was denied and help fix the errors in order to appeal the denial or re-apply at a future date.
- Overcoming hurdles to the application process. If you have been convicted of a crime, have a communicable disease, were previously deported, or have a medical condition, an immigration lawyer can advise you on the impact of these hurdles to immigration and possibly help you overcome the hurdles in the immigration process.
- Representing you at USCIS interviews. An immigration lawyer can represent you at any USCIS interviews or other meetings.
- Expediting the application process. An immigration lawyer can communicate with USCIS on your behalf to help move the process along in a timely manner so that you can avoid unnecessary delays.
- Advising on compliance requirements. If you are an employer, an immigration lawyer can advise you on the various compliance requirements and represent you in connection with an immigration-related audit, such as L-1A site visits, I-9 audits, or E-Verify procedures.
Contact an Immigration Lawyer
Whatever your visa and immigration needs, the Illinois immigration attorneys at the Shapiro Law Group are here to guide you through the entire process. We have more than 30 years of experience advising individuals and businesses with respect to a wide variety of visa and green card options. Contact Shapiro Law Group at (847)564-0712 to speak with an immigration lawyer.