Call Us for a Consultation(847) 564-0712
Call Now: (847) 564-0712

U.S.-Canada Business Travel Guide Released to Public

Written By The Shapiro Law Group on March 16, 2013

The Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters association and the global law firm of Baker & McKenzie recently released a comprehensive overview of visa categories applicable to U.S.-Canada business travelers, which is written in plain English and well-organized.

The Canada-U.S. Business Travel Guide (the “Guide”) outlines the most critical things that Canadian-U.S. business travelers need to know about immigration law before crossing the border, and it offers up some possible visa and work permit solutions for business clients to discuss with their lawyers.

Among other things, the Guide summarizes both U.S. and Canadian entry requirements, and it describes when Canadians or U.S. citizens can cross the border pursuant to North American Free Trade Agreement (“NAFTA”) provisions, and when they must seek out other specific permits or visas.

For Canadian travelers, the Guide describes NAFTA-related allowances for:

  •  professionals;
  • business visitors;
  • after-sales service techs and professionals;
  • intra-company transferees; and
  • certain traders and investors.

It also describes for them when they need permits as:

  • temporary workers;
  • exchange visitors; and
  • academic students.

For U.S. travelers to Canada, the Guide describes special immigration provisions in Canada, including exemptions from special Canadian rules about work permits and labor market opinions. The Guide specifically covers provisions applicable to:

  • after-sales leasing and service professionals;
  • training professionals;
  • public speakers;
  • NAFTA-covered professionals;
  • intra-company transferees;
  • traders and investors; and
  • international student work permits.

The documentary requirements related to work permits and the rules applicable to family members that accompany visiting workers are also covered.

The “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the Guide is also very helpful.

If you are a U.S.-Canada business traveler, or the employer of such travelers, and you need assistance with procurement of necessary work-related permits or visas, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (847) 564-0712 for an appointment to speak with an experienced and qualified immigration attorney. You can also check out our immigration law Website for more information about how we might assist you.