Call Us for a Consultation(847) 564-0712
Call Now: (847) 564-0712

How Do You Spell “VISA”?

Written By The Shapiro Law Group on September 10, 2011

Foreign nationals who wish to come to the U.S. for any of a variety of purposes can do so, provided they follow the correct procedures to apply for and procure the correct Visa for their needs.

For those who don’t even know where to begin, this blog presents an organized summary of the types of Visas available in the “alphabet soup” of U.S. Visa options. Below you can find a list of Visas by category and purpose:

  • A Visas: for diplomats, ambassadors and their relatives
  • B Visas: for business visitors (B-1) and for tourists (B-2)
  • C Visas: for travelers passing through the U.S. in transit
  • D Visas: for crewmembers of ships passing through the U.S.
  • E Visas: for certain investors and specialty occupations based on foreign country treaties
  • F Visas: for students
  • G Visas: The G-1 through G-5 visas are only for NATO or UN employees and certain other employees of international organizations or specified, recognized governments
  • H Visas: These types of visas fall into several subcategories (which are explained further in another posting) and are available for those who wish to work in the U.S.
  • I Visas: for certain media members coming to the U.S.
  • J Visas: for professors, research scholars, teachers, camp counselors and certain other specified individuals involved in foreign exchange programs
  • K Visas: for spouses, fiancés, and minor children (the K-1, K-2 and K-3 visa programs were described in more detail in August 2010 postings on this blog)
  • L Visas: for certain intercompany personnel transfers
  • M Visas: for certain students
  • O Visas: for those with certain extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • P Visas: for performing athletes, artists and entertainers
  • Q Visas: for certain international cultural exchange participants
  • R Visas: for ministers, clergy, and certain religious workers
  • S Visas: for certain aliens who are assisting U.S. law enforcement authorities
  • T Visas: for victims of human trafficking
  • U Visas: for victims of serious and specified criminal activities
  • V Visas: for spouses and children of legal permanent residents who have filed an I-130 petition

If you are seeking a visa for yourself or family members, check out our Website for more information and/or call our offices for an appointment to obtain legal assistance at (847) 564-0712.