The so-called H-1B provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which allow domestic companies to hire foreign workers in certain specialty occupations, have been good not only for American companies, but for America.
There are numerous reasons that the H-1B provisions have proved beneficial, not the least of which are the following:
- The provisions create jobs by facilitating exchange of information between countries and by propagating skills that are in short supply in America.
- The provisions create an inflow of expertise, particularly in technical fields, as the top science and technical training grounds become larger in foreign countries, such as India, Israel, Russia and countries in Eastern Europe.
- The provisions help to promote domestic business formation with the aid of young minds from overseas that are often more entrepreneurially inclined.
Conversely, a “protectionist” tightening of these provisions or their availability to domestic companies could cause harm to the economy, including:
- The inhibition of research and development projects that would otherwise be aided by foreign minds and have been historically so.
- The inhibition of small business formation, especially in emerging technologies.
- The brain drain that will result from encouraging the brightest young minds in the world to seek permanent positions in other countries.
If you are in need of more information about business immigration, please check the pertinent section of our Website or call our offices at (847) 564-0712.