Call Us for a Consultation(847) 564-0712
Call Now: (847) 564-0712

Foreign Spouses: Bring Your Kids

Written By The Shapiro Law Group on August 14, 2010

If you are a foreign resident who is married to a U.S. citizen and you have obtained a K3 Visa to enter the U.S., there are legal avenues open for your children to come with you.

Specifically, a K4 Visa permits the child of a K3 Visa holder to enter the country while awaiting the availability of an immigrant visa or resident status.

If you hold a K3 Visa, your child might qualify for a K4 Visa if:

  • He or she is less than 21 years old;
  • He or she is your unmarried child; and
  • He or she wants to immigrate lawfully to the U.S.

By obtaining a K4 Visa, your child will be able to:

  • Reside in the U.S. with your family while waiting for approval of your immigrant visa petition;
  • Apply for employment authorization using applicable work permits; and/or
  • Study in U.S. schools, colleges or universities.

For more information about family immigration matters, check out the Family and Citizenship section of our Website or contact the law office of Ron Shapiro to make an appointment at (847) 564-0712.