Foreign Nurses: Are You Qualified to Work in the US?

The Shapiro Law Group

Provided their qualifications meet the necessary standards, nurses educated and trained outside the U.S. can work in their field in America. Providing patient care and facilitating communication between doctors and patients, nurses are essential members of health care teams in hospital, clinic, and private practice settings. Read the rest of this entry »

Changing to Nonimmigrant Student Status?

attentive people taking notes in classNot all immigrants who are in the U.S. on nonimmigrant visas are allowed to enroll in school, but it is possible for some people who have nonimmigrant visas to apply to change their statuses to M-1 to enroll in vocational programs or F-1 to enroll in academic courses. Immigrants who are in the U.S. on E visas are not prohibited from enrolling in college and can enroll without first applying for an adjustment of status. Read the rest of this entry »

Do You Want to Become a US Citizen?

Citizenship And Flag, immigrationImmigrants to the United States may be able to become U.S. citizens through the naturalization process. Immigrants seeking to become United States citizens must meet certain eligibility requirements set forth in the Immigration and Nationality Act. Special provisions, however, may exempt certain applicants from some of the requirements. Foreign nationals who achieve naturalization receive the protections, rights, and responsibilities afforded to American citizens. Read the rest of this entry »

H-1B Hurdles Blocking the Pathway to the US

reject an application, immigration lawyer ChicagoChanges to the H-1B program threaten the efficacy of the system, as well as the path to the U.S. for skilled workers. The system has seen a number of adjustments under the Trump administration, which are aimed at protecting American workers. However, the changes have only exacerbated the labor shortage in the U.S. and slowed the process for qualified foreign workers seeking to fill the gaps. Read the rest of this entry »

Citizenship by Investment

green card documents, Chicago ImmigrationThe EB-5 visa program allows immigrants who have $500,000 or more to invest in U.S. projects to obtain green cards as long as the projects will create 10 or more jobs. This program has become very popular and has resulted in a large increase in foreign investments in U.S. businesses. The EB-5 investor visa program is also popular among U.S. developers and business owners as a cheaper way to secure the financing they need for their projects. Read the rest of this entry »

Here’s What the Illinois’ Immigrant Tenant Protection Act Could Mean for You

law gavel and book with an american flag, immigration lawyer chicagoThe Immigrant Tenant Protection Act will make it illegal for Illinois landlords to retaliate against tenants by threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement when they ask for repairs or for the return of their deposits. This law was passed by the legislature because of reports of landlords threatening to call ICE when immigrant tenants asked for repairs or for their deposits. Read the rest of this entry »

What the Loss of Spousal Employment Authorizations Could Mean for You

The Shapiro Law Group

Legal challenges threaten to take the right to gain employment in the U.S. away from H-4 visa holders, which could have significant personal and economic effects. Often the spouses of H-1B visa holders, people with H-4 visas were given the ability to obtain work status by the implementation of the H-4 Employment Authorization Document rule in 2015. Read the rest of this entry »